Thursday, October 7, 2010

BP5_Crocodoc

This is an interesting little bit of Cloud based software.  The idea behind the tool is that it allows the sharing of documents in various forms with the ability to high light, add comments, edit, annotate, and write review comments onto them.  I am not sure this is a tool that will be of immediate use in regard to my AR or my students in my course, but with the growing number of my Associate Course Directors that I have to have work from home it may be a great way for us to continue curriculum development.

A user does not need to create an account in order to use the sites functions, but creating a free account does allow all documents that were worked on or uploaded to be marked and kept in a list form with that account.  The Crocodoc site deals with privacy by assigning a unique, random url for each document that you can give to others – so it is secure in regard to items not being published to the Internet openly.

The one feature that I find very interesting, especially in regard to sharing work with staff at home, is that the site also accepts power points – so work on Wimba lectures can be done in a sharing environment instead of constant uploads and updates.  It also has the added advantage of being cross platform [a happy nod to the Cloud structure being employed here] so my instructors are able to work from their home PCs or their Macs as needed.  Some good possibilities for professional use here I think, although use in my curriculum by my students I’m unsure of at this particular time.

Below is a quick shot of a sample document and some of the notes and edit features that it includes.


No comments:

Post a Comment